Volume Discounts Available. Contact Us for Details.
Note, this product ships to commercial addresses only.
Extraction Grade™ Isobutane - C4H10
Extraction Grade™ isobutane is free of any sulfur-based mercaptan odorants, colorless, clean, and non-detectable limits* of toxic BTEX compounds which are benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene.
- Extraction Grade™ 99.5% pure isobutane
- Boiling point: 10.4°F (-12°C)
- Melting point: -255.3 °F (-159.6 °C)
- Vapor pressure: 29 psig at 70°F (21.1°C)
- Molecular formula: C4-H10
- CAS Number: 75-28-5
- Fitted with CGA 555 valve for liquid-to-liquid applications. Note: HT cylinder fitted with 3/4" NPT valve
In-House Cylinder Cleaning
- Available in:
- 23 Pounds Extraction Grade™
- 116 Pounds Extraction Grade™
- 490 Pounds Extraction Grade™
- Without cylinder (Customer supplies own cylinder)
- Purchase cylinder (Customer buys and owns the cylinder)
- Rent cylinder We will charge a deposit for the cylinder, which will be refunded upon return of the cylinder. The minimum rental period is (1) day, which includes the day the cylinder leaves our facilities through 4:00 p.m. the next day. The rental cost of a carbon steel cylinder is calculated as follows:
- LP5 cylinder for 23 pounds ($0.30 per day)
- FX cylinder for 116 pounds ($0.75 per day)
- HT cylinder for 490 pounds ($1.50 per day)
- Subscribe (Upon approval). Hassle-free subscription includes
- Carbon steel cylinder preparation - $100 value (HT cylinder)
- Cleaning of the cylinder - up to $150 value (HT cylinder)
- Re-painting of the cylinder - up to $75 value (HT cylinder)
- Re-valving from 510 valve to 555 liquid gas compliant valve - $60 value
- 555 valve fitting - $10 value
- 555 check valve - $30 value
- Certificate of Analysis (COA) - $100 value
Isobutane, also known as i-butane, 2-methylpropane, or methylpropane, is a chemical compound with molecular formula HC(CH3)3. It is an isomer of butane. Isobutane is a colorless, odorless gas. It is the simplest alkane with a tertiary carbon. A by-product of natural gas processing and petroleum refining, it is commonly used to extract chemicals from cannabis. Similar to butane and isobutane, propane is one of a group of liquefied petroleum gases (LPG).
With an even lower boiling point, 10.4°F (-12°C), and 1.5 times the vapor pressure of butane, it’s possible that using isobutane as an extraction solvent may pick up even less of the fat and lipids present than using standard butane. Studies show that the higher the cooling effect, the larger quantity and the higher quality cannabinoids and terpenes can be extracted while leaving even more unwanted byproducts behind.
In an extraction process, one needs to evaporate the solvent to obtain the desired extract. Isobutane’s even lower, 10.4°F (-12°C), boiling point than butane requires even less heat (burn) to evaporate and makes it even easier to selectively extract trapped residual solvent. The vacuum turns the isobutane from liquid to a vapor, making it easier to remove. This allows the operator to extract specific components such as cannabinoids and terpenoids and preserve them at their maximum availability. The colder the extraction, the lighter the extract, and the fewer the fats and the lipids are left versus other extraction methods. This property is the key and most important feature in preserving the natural state and the aromatic and chemical complexities of the original plant. The isobutane solvent can also be converted back to liquid form by either reducing the temperature and/or increasing the pressure.
Using isobutane, low-quality trim, and waste biomass input material can easily be converted into a greater amount of cannabinoid content extract versus other extraction methods. Low-temperature methods with high-quality input material can yield greater quantity, and higher quality crumble. Isobutane extraction offers the widest array of products that include crumble, shatter, diamonds, sauce, crude, winterized, decarboxylated, distillate, vapes, and formulated products. There is virtually no product that isobutane cannot make, and is a great option for operators that have a diverse product portfolio.
99.5% Ultra-High Purity (UHP) Instrument Grade Isobutane. Ideal for extraction.
*None detected - below the minimum detection limit (MDL) of 0.5 PPM.